Friday, June 16, 2006

How to Make a Hobo Pack

A hobo pack is, essentially, a foil packet containing a piece of meat and some vegetables, seasoned however you want. The meat can be a chicken thigh, or a hamburger patty, or some stew meat. It generally has potatoes and onions, sliced thin, and whatever vegetable. I like to use carrots because they hold up well in the cooking process. Wrap it all up in a heavy-duty foil packet (loosely, and make sure the edges are sealed very tight), and cook. You can cook them on a open fire (the best way) by nestling the packet into the hot coals at the edge of the fire, or on a grill (medium heat if it's gas) or in a 350 degree oven. The beauty is that cooking time is relative. On a real fire, maybe 30 minutes, a bit longer on a grill or in the oven.

Grandmother wanted to put green beans in hers, #4 was used to carrots, thus the conversation.

We have annual bonfires at my parents place, and always make these up for that. I make them on the grill in the summer, putting them together when it's convenient and cooking them later.

You can get as fancy as you want with them. I have a cookbook (License to Grill) that has a whole section on them, involving such things as lamb and rosemary, or sweet potatoes and pork, even a hawaiian version with ham and pineapple.

6 comments:

Northern_Girl said...

Mmmm...yum. I'm hungry for lunch now and it isn't even 9am!!

SuperBee said...

MMMMMMMM! I like food cooked in foil. Better yet would be if you started cooking poi and taro in Banana Leaves under hot stones. :)

34quinn said...

oh we make those all the time...I thought a hobo pack was some sort of back back or sack to carry the food in..sheeesh..

Doobie said...

Ah, it reminds me of the girl scouts. I used to love those things. Thanks for the idea...

Rootietoot said...

poi, taro and banana leaf be hard to come by in Southeastest Georgia. I can, if in Atlanta at the Famed Dekalb Farmers Market, purchase taro root, but lack the polynesian heritage required for making poi. I wonder if tapioca would substitute?

SuperBee said...

::sigh:: I SUPPOSE tapioca is an acceptable substitute. I guessssss. ;)