Friday, March 30, 2007

A Chicken Recipe for Vera...

because you know you want it.

Chicken Fingers
however many chicken tenderloins you need (I fix 2-3 pounds, but then I house heathens)
Buttermilk- oh...2 cups or so, enough to cover the tenderloins in a bowl
flour,cornmeal, seasoning salt (like Lawry's or your favorite blend), black pepper

*cornmeal, not cornbread mix. Yellow cornmeal. Or white but yello's better because I say so.*

Put the chicken on to soak in the buttermilk, for an hour or so.
Mix together equal parts flour and cornmeal, season to taste (be generous, it takes more seasoning than you'd think. Like, a 2 teaspoons per cup of flour mix)

In a dutch oven, or deep skillet, melt 2 inches of shortening, and get it hot. You know it's the right temperature when you stick the handle of a wooden spoon in and bubbles foam out of it.

Pull each tenderloin out of the buttermilk and shake off the excess, then roll around in flour mix so it's well coated, and drop into the hot oil. Cook 5 or 6 tenderloins at a time, being careful not to overload the pan because it will bring the temperature of the oil down and make your tenders greasy.

Cook until nicely brown, and put on a roaster rack in a 300 degree oven, to keep them hot until you're done cooking them all. It's ok if they aren't done all the way through, because they will continue to cook in the oven.

Serve with honey mustard:
honey, mixed with mustard...about 1 pt honey to 3 parts mustard but you can play with it.

As for seasoning the flour mix- I never do it the same way twice. Sometimes I use seasoning salt and pepper. Sometimes I add ground red pepper to give it a kick. I'll rub dried oregano into it, or italian seasoning blend. Garlic powder, onion powder, once I used a package of taco seasoning mix. That was pretty good.

10 comments:

themuttprincess said...

Ohhhh. You are killing me here. I have never made these... I know I am gonna have to now!

:)

Rootietoot said...

the cornmeal is important, gives um crunch

Celia said...

This article is fantastic; is very interesting and is really good written. It’s just great!! Do you want to know something more? Read it... Glass Bongs and Bong featuring Herbal Smoke, water bongs, bongs online head shop, Marijuana Alternative,glass water bongs, Hashish, Ganja, homemade bongs, Smokeshop, cannibis, legal smoking alternatives for herbal highs and aphrodisia. http://www.headshopinternational.com

Rootietoot said...

General question to anyone who ever comes to this site:
Do I strike you as the type of person who'd be interested in a bong?

lab munkay said...

Yes Rootie, often when I am writting chicken recipes I am thinking about where to get my next bong. Oh wait. No.

Elizabeth said...

Perhaps they expect you to use them in a decorative way while serving us all dinner.

Could be a conversation starter.

Attila The Mom said...

Ooooh, thanks for posting this!!

As for the bong question...

I'm taking the 5th. LOL

Vera said...

Mmmmmmm.... Chicken fingers are a personal favorite of mine. Buffalo style. mmmmm

themuttprincess said...

Rootie, I have never thought of you and a bong in the same sentence. Ever.

belledame222 said...

bwahaha. there's hash, and then there's HASH.