Friday, March 30, 2007

Happy birthday #4!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

From the minute you were born, having you areound was the most natural thing in the world. You came into our lives peacefully, and have been making up for it ever since. When you get off the bus, you start hollering, all the way up the driveway and into the house MOM! I'M HOME! WHAT'S THERE TO EAT?

You have your favorites: That sheet, the one that's just barely hanging on, thin as gauze yet you maintain steadfastly that it's warmer than any blanket.
Chicken fingers. What do you want for dinner? "Chicken fingers." How about a hamburger? "chicken fingers." You must eat a vegetable. "Ok. carrots with ranch dressing and chicken fingers"
HotWheels and MatchBox cars. You must have a thousand of them. And no repeats! Go figure!
Old Loony Tunes cartoons. Yes indeed, those marvelously improper cartoons, especially since your brothers showed you the one where Bugs Bunny gets out of the shower and briefly drops his towel, showing the world that, in spite of his occasional dressing in drag, he is indeed a man bunny.
And, building toys: Legos, Magnetix, Duplos, Blocks, bricks, sticks, anything you can stick together to make something else.

I love to go into your room and smell that boy-smell. Part soap and part poop, part crayons and part...whatever the fuzzy stuff in the cup under you bed is.Fruit punch? I dunno.

Sometimes you ask for something, and it's never what you'd expect from an 8 yr old boy. "Mom, my room needs planets, lots of them, and a sun, and asteroids." Happy to oblige, thanks to NASA and their photos, a printer and some small sticks, there are planets in your room.

"Mom I want a birthday cake" Ok, happy to oblige. What kind? Ice cream cake? Chocolate? "I want a plain vanilla cake, with vanilla icing, only make the icing red and yellow." No ice cream cake? "Plain vanilla." I guess your life is so exciting you need something to settle you down a bit. Plain vanilla it is.

SOmetimes you talk too much, but you know this already because your teacher tells you on a very regular basis. "Mom, I can't help it! There's just so many words in my head and if I don't get them out my brains will fall out!" Honey, I know the feeling.

You are a remarkable reader. You like Calvin and Hobbes (which is a little scary), Hank the Cow Dog, Absolutely any science book you can find, even attempting my college biology text, bless your heart. They tested you for giftedness at the school. Of course, I'm the one who's gifted, for having you in my life, but alas, they said you weren't. I tried not to get my feelings hurt, because of course I think you're the smartest 8 yr old around, except for Kevin, who's parents make him do an hour of math every afternoon after school, but I'd rather see you roll in the dirt and eat crackers in the afternoon than sit at a table and do long division.

Your favorite new toy: That huge box.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Sometimes the best things in life really are free.
Happy Birthday, sweet boy.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

7 comments:

Trish said...

Heeee

What a cutie! Looks like he would get along with my youngest. They could read Calvin and Hobbes together...also a favorite in this house.

antiprincess said...

happy birthday! what a lucky kid.

Vera said...

That is a lucky kid. And a lucky mom.

Happy Birthday #4.

Trinity said...

"That is a lucky kid. And a lucky mom."

Yes.

Elizabeth said...

Happy Birthday #4

lab munkay said...

Aww, you are lucky Mom. You did good with that one Rootie.

Amber said...

"Mom, I can't help it! There's just so many words in my head and if I don't get them out my brains will fall out!"

Ha!! I love it!

Clearly, this boy was born to blog.